Sunday, June 8, 2008

Caden's 1st year

It took a few days before I could sit down to do this. This past year The Lord has carried us through so many trials, I am thankful that he was there to do that with us. I could not imagine how we would have gotten through those times. When things would get rough and I didn't think I could go on He would either send me someone to comfort me or he would remind me through scripture that He was there and I was not alone!

October 2006
I was excited to find out that we were going to be adding a 3rd child to our family.

November 3, 2006

I started having some spotting and spent the evening in the ER- they were unable to detect a heartbeat on the baby. They want me to wait a week and return to my doctor on the 13 of November.

November 13, 2006

We have a doctors appointment at 11:30, Jason came home from work to go with me. The doctor can not detect my uterus he sent me upstairs for a formal Ultrasound. We went home and I drank a ton of water to be back at 1:30 for a formal ultrasound. We showed up and the technician didn't have a problem finding the baby or the heartbeat.

January 31, 2007

I am 19 1/2 weeks pregnant we have our formal ultrasound to determine the sex of the baby. I have been praying for the past several months that I will have the baby that will be best for Evan. I was a little worried about jealousy with him having multiple siblings so close together.
The technician tells us that she detects possible a cleft lip & palate on the baby but it could just be a blurry picture. The baby is a boy. They will call to schedule a level 2 ultrasound just to make sure.
February 16 ,2007
Down for a formal ultrasound and the technician is being very careful to get a ton of pictures. She calls in the radiologist that does another ultrasound and gives us the results. The baby definitely have Bilateral Cleft Lip (can not tell about the palate), the baby has what looks like to be Hypo plastic left heart and I have a short cervix. We had to walk over the genetics and meet with them. They are not very hopeful that the baby is going to live his heart does not look good. The will schedule appointments for me with a Pediatric Cardiologist that will do an ECHO on the baby. My cervix is short and I will need to be put on immediate bed rest. They are pretty booked so I will have to go see the perinatologist a week from Tuesday- the earliest they can get me in.

Over the next several months we saw the Cardiologist a few times and he said it is possible that something is wrong with the heart but he didn't think it was hypo plastic left heart. I also saw the perinatologist and he said I needed bed rest but didn't have to be on complete I could go to the kitchen, the restroom and sit up in shifts. I continued watching Hannah & Josiah but had help frequently. Because I was high risk I had to be at the doctors every 2 weeks and from week 28 on I had to twice one time for an exam and the other for a non-stress test. Time passed slowly and we had Hannah's first birthday. From about the 28 week point on I had frequent contractions, at times painful but nothing extremely bad. It was determined that it would be safer if the baby was to be born by C-Section. We scheduled this for the 13th of June, the doctor was surprised that we didn't mind having a baby born on the 13th of a month, she even suggested that we pic the 14th or 15th instead.

I went off of bed rest around the 10th of May and was able to start driving Evan to and from school again. After basically 16 weeks of being confined to my house I was pleased to be out. I was given the clearance to resume normal activity around the 25th of May. I then started getting ready for the baby and doing all the things I would have taken the past 16 weeks to do. My sister Kristen, my niece Cassie and my nephew Brandon drove out from Colorado and arrived on the 31st of May. Over the next few days we went to dinner a few times, we cleaned the house and I even drove up to Covelo (about 4 hours away) to pick Jason up. A gentleman from church gave us a car since Jason's had died a few weeks back. Jason and David drove up to Covelo and Jason was going to drive his new truck home. They were about an hour out and I talked to Jason and he found out the car was manual. Problem- Jason doesn't know how to drive it and he can't learn on a mountain road. Cassie was supposed to spend the night with me but instead I took Evan and Cassie to meet Kristen, Meagan & Brandon (niece & nephew) at the mall. The took Evan & Cassie to the hotel to stay the night. Hannah and I drove to Covelo and about 2 hours into it I noticed that I had and was still having regular contractions every 10 minutes. Thankfully the didn't get closer and I made it up and back without any problems. Jason learned to drive his truck pretty quickly and we were thankful to get one.
Two days later on the 4th of June I was starting to figure out that I was in labor. Cassie was spending the night with us, we were having dinner then going to their hotel for the kids to swim and then we were going back to our house. We got back to our house around 8:30, got the kids down for a nap and I noticed that I was having spotting. I called Kaiser and even though I didn't have any other symptoms other than the contractions that I had been having for 10 weeks they still wanted to check me. Ed, Meagan & Brandon came over to watch the other kids and Jason and I went in. Jason was not happy that he had to get up and go for what we thought would be a wasted night. The examined me and monitored me to see what kind of contractions I was having. The problem I had most of my later pregnancy was I would have bad contractions and they wouldn't show up on the monitor, but the technician could feel them with her hand. This happened on this night and the nurse thought she would be sending me home, when the doctor came in he examined me again and it was determined that I was staying.
We alerted the media, well with my big family that's what it felt like. Anyway Ed and Kristen came down and stayed at the hospital until Caden was born. I am pleased to say that it was the easiest labor I had with any of my children and from about 11:00 on the 4th of June until 5:30 on the 5th of June I had mild to moderate pain and it was all manageable without anything. Finally they were done with emergency C-sections and they could do mine. It took them over an hour to get the numbing in the spine (I can't remember the name, it was not an epidural). Anyway one hour, two nurses and a doctor later I could not feel anything and they brought Jason in. Caden was born at approximately 7:15 in the morning and weighed 6 lbs 4 ounces. I wanted to hold him but when the doctor showed him to me all I could fixate on was how blue he was and was getting worse.
I got to give him a kiss and then the whisked him away to the NICU. For most of that day I was out of it and had to spend 12 hours in bed after the CSection. I would send Jason down to the NICU to check on Caden. He was on the ventilator and was having trouble breathing on his own. Jason stayed in the hospital with me, the next morning I sent Jason down right away to check on him and he came back and told me he was not doing good. They had hooked him up to a new machine and it really shook him bad. I went down to see him and left in tears. A little later on my mother in law came down and we went back, she had not seen him but a second the day before. I was able to talk to the doctor and she said they were not equipped to care for him, one of the nurses told me it was not good he might need the full heart/lung bypass. A little while later another doctor came to our room and told us they would have to seen him down to UCSF children's hospital where they could care for him. I wanted to check myself out but the doctors advised I wait until morning. We called several times over the night down at UCSF to check on him. First thing in the morning on the 7th the doctors discharged me and Jason and I headed down to UCSF.

The first several days down there in the NICU it was not looking good for him. Thankfully he never had to go on the heart/lung bypass, he was extremely close. It was very rough traveling back and forth the hour and a half drive down there but we made it every day. On Saturday the 9th of June we made the 2 complete round trips. All of my family was in town for my nephew Cody's High School graduation, so several of my family that was leaving the next day to go home came in and saw him. Then during the week I brought the rest of them down to see him. We were thankful to God when He stabilized Caden enough to be transferred back to our local hospital (where my car goes on autopilot). So many days I would look at my precious baby and cry because I couldn't hold him and do all the things I should be doing for him. I cried when they finally let me change his diaper and when finally it was lifted that I could hold him. Jason and I prayed for so many of the other families and babies that were there. The night before we left UCSF a baby came in that was born at 28 weeks, I sometimes wonder if that little girl made it. She could have fit into the palm of my hand, she weighed a little over a lb. Such heartaches.

Caden continued to grow stronger and after 3 weeks we started the bottle, it was extremely difficult for him since he had been on the vent a little over 2 weeks and did not have the sucking reflux. The doctors at UCSF determined that he was about 6 weeks early not the 3 weeks we thought. He didn't have anything major wrong with his heart but he does have an SVT that could be caused from being on several high doses of medicine or he could have a minor heart problem. He is on medication for this and is being followed by the heart doctor. He also was born with Bilateral Cleft Lip & Palate.

It took a little convincing but on July 3rd I was able to bring Caden home from the hospital, exactly 4 weeks from the day he was born. There are some things that I chose not to share because they are either memories that I want to keep to myself and then there are some heartaches that God got me through and I don't want to relive them. I hope you enjoy looking at pictures from Caden's 1st year

1st weeks in the NICU







Brittany, Jason & Meagan


1st time holding him

Getting better



2nd day home & 1st forth of July


Brothers

4 months8 months

9 months

10 months

11 months

12 months

0 comments: